For some families, chicken nuggets and fries are a favourite go-to. We know the kids like the dipping action and the adults are getting a filling meal. It works on multiple levels!
Would you still go for those takeout nuggets and fries if I showed you the nutrition facts? It’s not just the calories that are alarming – the fact that you are getting little to no micronutrients is a whole other issue. How do we expect to feel like we have enough energy, if we are eating meals like our takeout nuggets all of the time?
Let me suggest a modification to the classic family go-to: Tofu Nuggets and Herby Carrot Fries! With this swap, you are still getting protein and your kids will still get the fun dipping action. However, you are also getting better fats (omega 3′ vs saturated and trans), more fibre, a ton more micronutrients and less sodium! All you need to do is set aside 30-40 minutes (which is actually about the time it takes to drive to Mcdonalds and wait in the takeout line). Make it a family activity and enjoy!
After having these tofu nuggets, You will never feel the need to go for takeout chicken nuggets again! Your whole family will love them.
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- 4 tsp cornstarch
- 4 tsp water
- 1 tsp basil flakes
- 1 tsp parsley flakes
- 4 tbsp avocado oil
- Pat block of tofu dry with a paper towel. Wrap in a dishtowel and place heavy cookbooks on top for about 10-15 minutes. You can also use a tofu press if you have one.
- Mix ½ cup of panko bread crumbs with basil and parsley.
- Mix 4 tsp cornstarch with 4 tsp of water You will get a relatively thick slurry.
- Once tofu has been pressed for 10-15 minutes, chop into bite-sizes chunks. Heat up the oil in a frying pan as you’re doing this.
- Dip the tofu chunks into the cornstarch slurry – no need to try and achieve a “thick” layer. As long as it’s coated it is fine! After that dip it in the breadcrumbs mixture. After that, place the tofu into the pan/. Repeat this for all the tofu chunks you have.
- Fry the tofu over medium heat until golden brown (you’ll need to probably flip it around if you’re shallow frying).
- When done, remove the tofu nuggets from the pan and let it rest on a paper towel to soak up any excess oil. Serve after a minute or two!
Herby Carrot Fries
A delicious way to enjoy a more nutrient-rich version of a french fry!
- 3-4 medium carrots
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp basil flakes
- 1 tbsp parsley flakes
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200˚C).
- Slice the top and bottom off of carrots then slice them in half, slice each half into thirds lengthwise.
- In a large bowl, mix ingredients with carrot sticks.
- Spread on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes (depending on how crispy you want them). Enjoy