When it comes to breakfast, two things I’m always recommending to my clients are:
• Add more non-starchy veggies
• Add more protein
We don’t tend to be great at these two! Protein (and fat) are extremely satiating. Our non-starchy veggie family adds a ton of fibre, along with our beloved micronutrients: b-vitamins, vitamin C, magnesium and potassium, to name a few! Missing out on these little guys can lead to us having low energy, muscle aches and not sleeping well.
Please, please do away with the toast and cereal at breakfast. This isn’t serving you!
Just in time for Saint Patricks Day, I have two high protein, veggie-rich recipe that will be sure to satisfy you!
Green Breakfast Fritters
A delicious, savoury start to your day! Awesome way to get in veggies, healthy fats and protein.
- 1.5 cup greek yogurt
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp fresh dill
- 2 medium zucchini, grated
- 3 handfuls baby spinach, chopped
- ½ cup goat cheese
- 3 tbsp fresh dill
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup oat flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- avocado oil, for frying
- In a blender, combine the greek yogurt, garlic, lemon juice and dill, until smooth. Refridgerate until use.
- Place the grated zucchini in a fine mesh strainer over a bowl. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt to draw out the liquid and let sit for 10-15 minutes. Then, wring all of the liquid out using your hands and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the zucchini, spinach, goat cheese, herbs, eggs, onions, and garlic. Stir to mix well. Then, sprinkle in the oat flour and baking powder, a bit at a time, until it all is incorporated and holding together.
- Heat about 1/4 cup olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Once warmed, add ¼ cup of the batter onto the skillet at a time. After about 30 seconds, flatten them out a by pressing them down gently with a spatula. Pan fry for about 3 minutes, and then flip to fry the other side for an additional 3 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve with the garlic tzatziki and enjoy!
Green Protein Pancakes
What a wonderful way to get your greens in – blended in a pancake!
- ¼ cup pea milk
- 1 medium banana
- 1 cup spinach
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup chickpea flour
- 3 tbso hemp protein powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- avocado oil, for frying
- Place milk, spinach and banana into a blender and spend until spinach is broken down.
- Add blended mixture to a medium-sized bowl. Whisk in eggs, flour, protein powder and baking soda. Whisk until combined.
- Add avocado oil to a large frying pan. Add ¼ cup of batter to pan, forming pancakes. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side and then flipping over once mixture starts to bubble.
- Serve with your favourite toppings!