Do you think that eating plant-based is expensive? Some think so.
Recently, UK-based VoucherCodesPro published a study claiming that those consuming vegan diets face an inevitable financial disadvantage compared to omnivores. I have also received questions from peers asking if I find a plant-based eating pattern more expensive, as this seems to be their perception.
I beg to differ.
The majority of my diet is plant-based. From first-hand experience, I know I spend less on groceries now, compared to when I ate meat, about 7 year ago. Don’t believe me? Consider comparing the cost of plant-based proteins to animal proteins. Plant-based proteins that I consume include tofu, edamame, lentils, chickpeas, black beans, white beans, etc. These proteins can usually be purchased for under $2-3 per serving. I don’t think you will be able to find animal protein than can be purchased for this little.
I thought I would show you how to create a delicious, filling plant-based meal on a budget, which fits into this months Recipe Redux theme: Budget-Friendly Eats! Check out how I created this meal for $3 per serving!
Cost of Ingredients
Explore Cuisine Organic Edamame Spaghetti (8 oz) – $4.15
PC Blue Menu Extra Firm Tofu (350 g) – $1.99
Garlic Powder (1 tbsp) – $0.08
Onion Powder (1 tbsp)- $0.08
Olive oil (1 tbsp)- $0.15
1 Red Pepper & 1 Yellow Pepper – $2.99
Green Onion – $1.50
Pesto Sauce (1/2 cup) – $2.00
Total cost for recipe (makes 4 servings) – $12.93
Total cost per serving – $3.23
Edamame Pasta with Tofu & Veggies
A light, yet filling and protein-packed vegetarian meal.
- 350 g PC Blue Menu extra firm tofu
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 2 green onions
- 8 oz of Explore Cuisine organic edamame spaghetti
- 1/2 cup pesto sauce
- sesame seeds optional
- To press tofu, wrap tofu in an absorbent towel and place something heavy on top (I use a few cookbooks) for 5-15 minutes.
- While tofu is pressing, dice peppers and green onion with large knife.
- Once tofu is done pressing, cut into small cubes. Toss in bowl with olive oil, onion and garlic powder.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once heated, add coated tofu and fry until all sides are brown and firm.
- While tofu is frying, cook pasta according to directions on box.
- Once pasta is cooked and tofu is fried, toss with peppers and onion in a large bowl. Top with pesto sauce.