I work with a number of my clients to understand the reasons for their food cravings. A craving could be occuring for a variety of reasons. These include, but are not limited to:
- Environmental cues
- Body physiology (ie stress, lack of sleep, prolonged periods without nourishment)
- Emotions (heart hunger)
- Need to taste a specific texture/taste (mouth hunger)
- and beyond…
Sometimes when we chose to satisfy a craving, we are left with feelings of guilt, emptiness, loss of control, etc. This doesn’t have to always be the case. We should first work to understand the reasons for our cravings and then implement strategies to manage these cravings.
For many of us, it is a habit to enjoy a dessert after a Sunday dinner with family. Or we may simply have that pumpkin pie available in our kitchen ready for consumption. Or we a longing for a specific texture/taste.
Let me suggest an alternative to satisfy the above reasons for cravings – this Healthy Blueberry Lemon Crumble.
Healthy Blueberry Lemon Crumble
This crumble will satisfy your need for a crumbly, buttery dessert - without the butter! Bonus - this dish is super easy to make and only has 6 ingredients. This was the perfect dish to showcase for this months Recipe Redux Theme - Trimming the Table. This recipe is also raw, vegan and gluten-free!
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup Medjool dates
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups blueberries
- rind of 1 lemon
- Greek yogurt to top (optional)
- Combine walnuts, dates, cinnamon and coconut in a food processor, until mixture ressembles a course meal that still looks fluffy. Don’t over processes.
- Layer mixture in glass bowls with blueberries. Top with lemon rind. Enjoy with Greek yogurt (optional).