This week in particular has felt quite heavy. In Ontario, we were faced with more lockdowns restrictions as Covid cases increase. I have been wondering if we will ever get out of this thing.
I have to have faith that we will. Other parts of the world are much ahead of Ontario in terms of vaccinations and they have experienced a return to a more normal life.
Given all of this, I was feeling like prepping foods that meant more “comfort” to me. Alongside these comfort foods, I also tried to comfort myself in other ways. A long run to me means comfort. Time with my partner and puppy while watching a movie means comfort. What does comfort mean to you?
This week I made a cauliflower Mac & Cheese, Roasted Red Pepper and Gnocchi Soup and Carrot Cake Breakfast Cookies!
Roasted Red Pepper and White Bean Gnocchi Soup
- 4 Red Peppers sliced
- 2 cup White Beans cooked
- 1 Yellow Onion sliced
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 3 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 tsp Chili Flakes
- 1 tsp Rosemary
- 1 Pack Gnocchi
- 1.5 Cup Veggie Broth
- 1 Cup Plant-Based Milk
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Add the peppers, white beans, onion, garlic and spices to an oven safe baking dish (I used a cast iron pan). Place in the oven uncovered, and bake for 35-40 minutes, until the vegetables have softened.
- Meanwhile, add the gnocchi to an oven safe dish, and bake at 400F for 20 minutes until slightly crispy.
- Transfer the veggies and bean contents to a food processor or blender. Add the vegetable broth and milk and blend.
- Portion the soup into bowls. Add some gnocchi to each bowl and enjoy!
Cauliflower Mac & Cheese
- 4 Cups Legume Pasta
- 1 Head Cauliflower Chopped
- 2 Carrots Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1/3 Cup Extra Virgin Oil
- 1/3 Cup Water
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Garlic Powder
- Vegan Cheese For Topping
- 1 cup Breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain, and set aside.
- Fill a large pot with water, and bring to a boil. Add in the chopped cauliflower and carrots. Cook for 10-15 minutes, or until softened. Drain, and add to a food processor or high speed blender.
- Add in the oil, water, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Process/blend until smooth.
- Add cheese sauce to your pot full of drained pasta and mix well. Top with vegan cheese, bread crumbs and Italian seasoning.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Enjoy!
Carrot Cake Breakfast Cookies
- 2/3 Cup Chickpea Flour
- 2/3 Cup Ground Flaxseed
- 2 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Cup Applesauce
- 4 Tbsp Packed Brown Sugar
- 2 Tsp Vanilla
- 2 Cup Shredded Carrots
- 4 Tbsp Raisins
- 2 Tbsp Hemp Seeds
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease or spray 12 cups of a standard size muffin tin.
- In a bowl whisk together the chickpea flour, flax seed, spices and baking powder. Add the applesauce, sugar and vanilla, stirring until everything is well-combined. Stir in raisins and shredded carrots.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared cups, smoothing tops, Sprinkle with hemp hearts.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 19 to 23 minutes until centers are springy and just set. Cool on wire rack in tin for 15 minutes. Remove from tin and serve warm or cool completely.