It’s beginning to look a lot like PUMPKIN SEASON!
Although I did find myself mourning summer coming to an end a week ago (because let’s face it – summer was so different this year without cottage trips, concerts, weddings etc) I have become recently excited for the fall. Why?
Fall represents change. And lord knows that we need change in this world right now!
Fall is a cozy season. Perfect for settling into a new house with our puppy and new fall decor!
Fall is THE BEST running season! Although I’m usually training for an October race at this time, I’m looking to take this running season to be a more leisurely one.
Anyways, this week I dive right into fall recipes! Pumpkin, root veggies – coming right at you!
Check out the recipes below and my Youtube channel for the recipes being made in action!
Pumpkin Pie Overnight Oats
– 2 cup rolled oats
– 2 cup almond milk
– 1 cup pumpkin puree
– 2 tablespoon maple syrup
– 2 tablespoon chia seeds
– 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1 teaspoon cinnamon
– 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
– 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
pecans for topping
1. Combine all of these ingredients in a large bowl. Stir together until well combined. Transfer into mason jars or other containers, cover, and place in the refrigerator at least 4 hours or overnight.
– 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
– 1 small onion, chopped
– 2 teaspoons avocado oile
– 15 oz pumpkin puree
– 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
– 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
– 9 no-cook lasagna noodles
– 1 block of firm tofu
– 1 tbsp lemon juice
– 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
– 1 cup vegan mozzarella cheese
1. In a small skillet, saute the mushrooms and onion in avocado oil until tender; set aside. In a small bowl, combine the pumpkin, coconut milk and thyme.
2. Meanwhile, prepare the tofu ricotta. Add the block of drained tofu, lemon juice and nutritional yeast to a blender or food processor for about 15 seconds, until the consistency is similar to ricotta cheese.
3. Spread 1/2 cup pumpkin sauce in an 11×7-in. Baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with 3 noodles (noodles will overlap slightly). Spread 1/2 cup pumpkin sauce to edges of noodles. Top with half of mushroom mixture, 1/2 cup tofu ricotta and 1/3 cup vegan mozzarella. Repeat layers. Top with remaining noodles and sauce.
Cover and bake at 375° for 45 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting..
Root Veggie and White Bean Soup
– 2 Tbsp avocado oil
– 3 carrots, peeled and diced
– 3 parsnips, peeled and diced
– 1 large onion, chopped
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 1/2 cup chopped and peeled butternut squash
– 2 medium tomatoes, chopped (2)
– 6 cups sodium-reduced veggie broth (1.5 L)
– 1 can white navy beans, rinsed and drained (1)
– 4 cups baby spinach (1 L)
1. In a large pot, heat avocado oil over medium-high heat. Add carrots, parsnips, onion, garlic and squash. Cook and stir vegetables until they start to soften, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes. Cook vegetables 3-4 minutes longer.
2. Add veggie broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover pot and let vegetables simmer until soft, about 15 to 20 minutes. Add beans and heat through. Stir in spinach.
3. Serve immediately in soup bowls or store in containers.br>
Tofu and Hummus Sandwiches
– 1 block extra-firm tofu
– ½ tbsp avocado oil
– 3 cloves garlic, minced
– 2 tbsp soy sauce
– 2 tbsp maple syrup
– 2 tbsp water
– ½ tsp liquid smoke
– 8 slices of rye bread
– 1/2 cup hummus, divided
– Sandwich toppings: lettuce, onions and tomatoes
1. Slice tofu into ¼” (½ cm) slices. Press or pat tofu dry with a clean kitchen towel. In a shallow dish or sandwich-sized food storage bag, add garlic, soy sauce, maple syrup, water, and liquid smoke. Add the sliced tofu and marinate for 30-60 minutes.
2. Add the marinated tofu to the skillet, but reserve and excess marinade. Cook both sides until golden-brown. Pour the remaining marinade into the pan with the tofu, stirring gently. Continue cooking until the tofu has absorbed all the marinade. Set aside.
3. Store the sandwich inputs separately, until you are ready to eat. Enjoy!