I have been experimenting and discussing the “Buffet-Style Meal Prep” a lot more lately. It’s a great option because it gives you more flexibility to chose your meals throughout the week but also allows you to save time!
Check out the benefits of buffet-style meal prepping here!
This week I wanted to structure my buffet meal prep around bowls that I wanted to create! This image demonstrates how I structured my inputs. I made sure I had 3-4 of each category, to ensure variety!
Check out my favourite recipes below. Let me know which one you’d like to try!
Sweet Potato Black Bean Bowl
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 bunch of kale, chopped
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 cups of black beans, drained and cooked
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- Hummus for topping
- Preheat your oven to 425ºF (218ºC). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the sweet potato into cubes. Add to parchment-lined baking sheet and top with 1 tbsp avocado oil.
- Roast for 30 to 35 minutes, tossing once during cook time.
- Meanwhile, add avocado oil to a frying pan. Add chopped kale and sautee for 6-8 minutes, until slightly wilted. Remove from heat.
- In a separate bowl, add the spices to the cooked black beans. Toss the black beans on a frying pan over medium heat.
- Assemble bowl with kale, sweet potatoes and black beans. Top with hummus. Enjoy!
BBQ Chickpea Bowl
- 2 cups of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup bbq sauce
- 1 bag cauliflower rice, frozen (~300 g)
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- Add the chickpeas to a saucepan with the BBQ sauce and put over medium heat. Let the chickpeas simmer in the sauce for about 5 to 10 minutes until the sauce thickens and sticks to the chickpeas. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, thaw the cauliflower rice OR cook according to directions on package. I simply placed mine in the microwave for 5 minutes.
- Assemble bowls with the cauliflower rice, cooked chickpeas and red onion.
Greek Tofu Bowl
- 1 cup of dried rice
- 1, 14 oz tofu block
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- toppings: vegan cheese, tzatziki and sliced olives
- Cook rice according to package.
- While rice is cooking, press tofu for about 20 minutes.
- I cooked my tofu in a air fryer, but you can also cook it in the oven. Preheat the airfryer to 400 F. Cube the pressed tofu and toss with the avocado oil, garlic powder and onion powder in a bowl. Add to air fryer for 10 minutes, tossing halfway.
- Meanwhile, add a bit of avo oil to a frying pan and add the sliced zucchini to the pan. Sautee until each side is slightly browned.
- Assemble bowl with rice, tofu, red onion and zucchini. Top with your choice of vegan cheese, tzatziki and sliced olives. Enjoy!