No doubt most people will say they have a soft spot for pasta. With that cheesy, coma-inducing comforting goodness, what’s not to love?
Well maybe once and a while (you do have to live!!) but what if I told you that you could enjoy one of your favourite Italian staples more often? What if I told you that those flavours can be delivered to you in an edible shell and be filled with more fibre, more nutrients and not leave you unbuckling your belt?
Never fear, enter the wonderfully versatile spaghetti squash lasagna boats.
Not only does spaghetti squash lighten up the heavy traditional dish, but it adds a great dose of fibre and is perfect for those adhering to a gluten free lifestyle. An added bonus is that this protein packed recipe is also completely meatless but can meaty nature of lentils makes it appealing to both meat-eaters and meat-less eaters!
Check out the difference in nutrition here (spaghetti squash is on the right)
Spaghetti Squash with Lentil Bolognese
A fresh, light, Italian-inspired pasta recipe perfect for a late summer dinner.
- 2 small spaghetti squashes
- 3 tbsp of avocado oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup crimini mushrooms, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 84 oz. crushed tomatoes
- 1 heaping tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 ½ cups cooked green lentils
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil. Place cut side up on a large rimmed baking sheet, and bake 35-45 minutes, until tender. Cool. Use two forks to scratch up the squash to create “noodles” inside the squash “boats.”
- Meanwhile, make the lentil bolognese. Heat two tablespoons of avocado oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots, and celery and sauté until vegetables soften, about 7 minutes. Add the garlic, mushrooms, oregano, basil, and sauté until the mushrooms begin to soften. Add the tomatoes and tomato paste and stir to combine. Add lentils and simmer the sauce 20 minutes, until sauce has thickened and all the vegetables are tender. Season to taste with salt.
- Spoon the lentil bolognese over the spaghetti squash noodles. Sprinkle cheese over the top and place under the broiler until cheese is bubbly. Garnish with fresh basil.
Co-written by Chelsea Cross, BASc, MAN (c)