One of the best ways to reduce afternoon or evening cravings is to have the right kind of breakfast.
I’ve learned this from my personal experience, along with anecdotal evidence from the clients in my practice.
A lot of people who I see only have carbohydrates (cereal, toast or instant oats) for breakfast. Your body may burn through that in less than an hour… then what? Your body experiences a large blood sugar spike then your blood sugar falls down – leaving you to feel fatigued and hungry again!
You do need carbs for energy and the right type of carbs should be included at breakfast and lunch meals – not necessarily dinner meals. Your breakfast should include low-glycemic, high-fibre carbohydrates, along with a sufficient amount of protein and fat. What does that look like? Take these Raspberry Greek Yogurt Overnight Oats!
The soluble fibre in oats slows down digestion and keeps you feeling full for longer (and can also reduce your cholesterol and regulate blood sugar overtime!). The protein from the Greek yogurt and seeds will increase the thermic effect of food (how many calories your body burns from digesting foods), keep you full for longer and reduce evening and nighttime cravings. The fat from the 4% Greek yogurt and the chia seeds will help prevent a large blood sugar spike, followed by a crash. Afraid of full-fat dairy products? Don’t be. They satiate us and research has found that it the fat in dairy products may not increase our risk of cardiovascular disease – read more here.
Raspberry Greek Yogurt Overnight Oats
An indulgence to enjoy for breakfast - you will forget it's also good for you!
- 2 cup dry (large-flaked or steel cut) rolled oats
- 2 cups frozen raspberries
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1.5 cup milk
- 1 cup 4% Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pepita seeds for topping
- Place strawberries, milk, Greek yogurt and vanilla extract into a food processor/blender until the fruit is pureed.
- Transfer the pureed mixture into a large bowl. Combine with oats and chia seeds. Mix with a spoon until combined.
- Cover and place in fridge for minimum 2 hours (preferably overnight).
- Top with pepita seeds and extra raspberries and enjoy!