Thinking about going meatless but afraid you’ll miss the smokey flavour of bacon? I present you with this alternative – tempeh bacon! The sweetly smokey flavour of this recipe will do a pretty good job with filling your void for bacon.
Not familiar with tempeh? It’s a product made from cooked and fermented soy beans, which have been formed into a firm patty. On it’s own, it has a slightly nutty flavour. It’s higher in protein than tofu – 22 grams for a 4 oz serving! You can find tempeh at most health food stores.
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1.5 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 0.5 tsp cumin
- 0.5 tsp garlic powder
- One 8-ounce (225 g) package of tempeh
- Baby spinach
- Make the marinade by combining the soy sauce, maple syrup, grape seed oil, liquid smoke, balsamic vinegar, cumin and garlic powder.
- Cut tempeh patty lengthwise into thin strips. Toss strips in marinade to fully coat. Arrange strips in a single layer in shallow baking dish so every piece is in the marinade, and refrigerate from at least 1 hour to 24 hours.
- Once tempeh has been left in marinade for a sufficient amount of time, heat oil in large frying pan over medium heat. Add tempeh strips and cook in the pan for about 3 minutes on each side, or until edges are brown. Use the leftover marinade to deglaze pan.
- Arrange tempeh bacon in tortilla with baby spinach, tomatoes and mayonnaise/veganaise. Enjoy!
Nutrition (for one wrap with 4 oz Tempeh Bacon)
Fat: 22 g
Carbohydrate: 33 g
Fibre: 3 g
Protein: 25 g
Iron: 4.5 mg
Sounds delicious, alwYs looking for something new! Thanks for posting this, I plan to try it this week!
This looks great! I really enjoy your blog. Thank you so much for all you share! I recently nominated you for a One Lovely Blog Award. You can check it out here if you like https://deliciousdietitianduo.wordpress.com/2015/05/07/one-lovely-blog-award/