A classic soup so creamy you would have never thought it to be vegan! The roasted chickpeas replace traditional croutons and almond milk adds a creamy texture. I make this soup almost every weekend! Adding this as a side to any meal ramps up your vegy intake – I like to refer to soups as ‘liquid salads’ ;). This recipe was inspired by the fabulous Angela LIddon from Oh She Glows.
Ingredients (Makes 6 servings)
- 1 (15-ounce/425-g) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) grapeseed oil
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.5 mL) cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 mL) onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon (4 mL) fine-grain sea salt or Herbamare
For the Tomato Soup:
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small to medium yellow onion, diced (1.5 to 2 cups/375 to 500 mL)
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup almond milk (original or unsweetened)
- 2 cups (500 mL) vegetable broth
- 1 (28-ounce/793-g) can whole peeled tomatoes, with their juices
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained
- 3 to 4 tablespoons (45 to 60 mL) tomato paste
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon (2 to 5 mL) dried oregano
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon (4 to 5 mL) fine-grain sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon (1 to 2 mL) dried thyme
Make the Chickpea Croutons:
- Preheat the over to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Line a large rimmed baking sheet with paper towels. Place the chickpeas on the paper towels and place a couple of paper towels on top. Roll them around until any liquid on them has been absorbed. Discard the paper towels.
- Transfer the chickpeas to a large bowl and stir in the grapeseed oil, oregano, cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt. Line the baking sheet with parchment paper and then spread the chickpeas in an even layer on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Give the pan a shake from side to side and cook for 15 to 20 minutes more, watching closely, until the chickpeas are lightly charred and golden.
Make the Tomato Soup
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute for 5 to 6 minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
- In a blender, combine the almond milk, garlic-onion mixture, tomatoes and their juices, sun-dried tomatoes, and tomato paste and blend on high until smooth.
- Pour the tomato mixture into the saucepan in which you cooked the onions and set the pan over medium-high heat. Bring the mixture to a simmer, then stir in the oregano, salt, pepper, and thyme, all to taste.
- Gently simmer over medium heat, uncovered, for 20 to 30 minutes, until the flavors have developed.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top each with 1/3 to 1/2 cup (75 to 125 mL) of the Chickpea Croutons. Garnish with minced fresh basil leaves, a drizzle of olive oil, and freshly ground black pepper.
Nutrition (per 1/6 serving)
Fat: 2.6 g
Carbohydrate: 31 g
Fibre: 5 g
Protein 10 g