An undercover healthy product! This dish features a unique way to incorporate lentils into a snack. The pureed lentils acts to replace some of the oil content in the recipe – raising the protein, fibre and lowering the fat content! Enjoy these as part of your breakfast, a snack or a dessert.
Ingredients ~15-20 servings
- 2 cups (500 mL) quick-cooking rolled oats
- ⅔ cup (150 mL) shredded coconut
- 1 cup (250 mL) brown sugar, lightly packed
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) All-Bran cereal
- ½ tsp (2 mL) cinnamon
- ¾ cup (175 mL) lentil purée
- ½ cup (125 mL) canola oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ tsp (2 mL) vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (50 mL) semi sweet chocolate chips, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180˚C). Make sure rack is in centre of oven.
- In medium bowl, mix coconut, oats, brown sugar, cereal and cinnamon.
- Add lentil purée, oil, egg, and vanilla. Mix until dry ingredients are just moistened.
- Spread over a 10 ½ x 16 (25 x 40 cm) nonstick cookie sheet. Bake 30 minutes, or until lightly browned. While bars are still warm, drizzle chocolate over top and cut into 35 bars.
Nutrition – one bar
Fat: 11 g
Carbs: 25 g
Fibre: 4 g
Protein: 3 g
These are so good!