I have probably given out this recipe to at least five people this past week already. In addition, many of you on Instagram have requested it! I’m not surprised – it is such a winner on many levels! It is:
- easy to make
- and nutrient-dense!
What else could you ask for?
The secret to making this recipe a complete meal is using my absolute favourite pasta: red lentil penne. My favourite brand one is this one.
This delicious sauce is made from cashews – can you believe it?
Mmmmm so creamy.
Adding roasted veg is essential for a well balanced meal. Mushrooms, asparagus and peppers would go well too!
Vegan Mac & Cheese
A creamy, satisfying and healthy vegan comfort meal.
- 2-3 cups of chopped veggies of your choice (I picked broccoli and cauliflower)
- Avocado oil
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked for 2 hours
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 cups lentil pasta
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Toss chopped veggies with avocado oil. Add to a lined baking sheet with parchment paper. Roast for 30 minutes, tossing halfway through.
- Fill a large saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Add lentil pasta and reduce heat. Cook until pasta is tender.
- Drain the cashews and discard the soaking water. In a high-speed blender combine the cashews, 2 cups of water, nutritional yeast, salt, lemon juice, vinegar, and nutmeg. Blend until smooth. **for a thicker sauce, try heating it up in a saucepan for 10 minutes on low heat. Stirring often.
- When pasta is done cooking, toss with veggies and sauce. Enjoy!
I tired this last night and the flavours were good but the sauce came out nothing like in the photo! It was basically soup, not sure where I went wrong.
Hi Jess – it may be helpful to heat up the sauce in a saucepan for a few minutes to thicken it up. Thank you for trying it!
When you say 2 cups of pasta, do you mean cooked or uncooked? Thanks!