It’s no surprise that we over-consume and over-treat ourselves at summer BBQ gatherings. I discuss this more in Part 1 of this series – if you missed it click here.
That being said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with providing well-thought-out treats at your next summer BBQ gathering. Just think about how you can add nutrition. This is a notion that I try to highlight with my clients – focus on adding nutritious options, instead of focusing on what you have to limit. Focusing on what to limit or what you can’t have is a restricting frame of mind and can likely lead to the damaging binge-restrict cycle. Besides, if you add in whole, nutrient-dense foods, you will naturally limit empty-calorie foods!
Below I’ve provided my four favourite summer BBQ treats. They all can be made in 5-15 minutes and only have a few ingredients, so you can focus on enjoying your party! The recipes include Grilled Maple Cinnamon Pineapple, Blueberry Banana Nice Cream, Almond Butter Greek Yogurt Dip and a Pineapple Mint Sparkler! Today (June 27th) is International Pineapple Day and I’ve teamed up with Dole to bring you these recipes. For some more easy pineapple recipes check out dolecanada.ca
1. Grilled Maple Cinnamon Pineapple
I love the convenience of the Dole Canned Pineapple Slices – they’re ready-to-eat and fresh tasting. No cutting required – which I love because cutting a pineapple from scratch can be time-consuming and inconvenient! Dole Canned Pineapple slices are easily stored in your cupboard and you can use them whenever you need to. With the addition of maple syrup, cinnamon and some BBQ heat, you will be well on your way to making a delicious guilt-free dessert in less than 10 minutes!
Grilled Maple Cinnamon Pineapple
A fresh, light, summer dessert.
- 1 can (398 ml) Dole Canned Pineapple Slices
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the grill on medium.
- Combine the maple syrup and cinnamon in a bowl. Drizzle the syrup over the pineapple, tossing to coat each wedge completely.
- Evenly space the pineapple across the grill and cook for 3-5 minutes per side, until brown grill marks are formed. Serve with a side of nice cream!
2. Blueberry Banana Nice Cream
I will never get over the magic of nice cream. The taste is superb and you’re getting nutrient-dense foods at the same time! The soluble fibre in the bananas will help keep you regular during your summer gatherings, and the blueberries will pack an antioxidant punch to keep your body well-nourished.
Blueberry Banana Nice Cream
Pleasantly surprise your guests with this refreshing whole-food ice cream.
- 2 frozen bananas, chopped
- 1/4 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- Combine all of the ingredients in a blender until smooth, or there are no longer chunks.
3. Almond Butter Greek Yogurt Dip
You may think this dip is too delectable to be healthy. I love this dip because unlike a lot of summer BBQ food items, it’s satiating and filling. Thanks to the healthy fats and protein from the Greek yogurt and the almond butter, you won’t experience that blood-sugar-crash that often happens with lots of refined carbs. Enjoy this with some fresh summer fruit!
Almond Butter Greek Yogurt Dip
A creamy, indulgent dip alternative for your summer gatherings.
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup 5% Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Combine all of the ingredients a large bowl. Stir well to combine.
- Serve with fresh fruit slices.
4. Pineapple Mint Sparkler
I love this drink largely for it’s taste but also for it’s de-bloating properties! Pineapple is a low FODMAP food, which keeps tummy troubles at bay (more about FODMAPS here) and mint is calming for my stomach. I also like this drink because I get 100% of my daily Vitamin C requirements from the Dole Premium Pineapple Juice, which helps me absorb iron from iron-containing foods such as lentils.
Sparkling Pineapple Mint Sparkler
A refreshing and de-bloating summer cocktail.
- 1 cup Dole Premium Pineapple Juice
- 1 Litre of sparkling water or club side
- 1/4 cup fresh mint
- crushed ice to serve
- pineapple slices to serve
- vodka or rum optional
- Combine Dole Premium Pineapple Juice and sparkling water in a pitcher.
- Pour into tall glasses and serve with crushed ice. Top with mint and pineapple slices.