This months Recipe Redux theme is a ‘Vacation-Inspired Theme’, encouraging members to create a recipe with an ingredient that they’ve seen on their summer travels.
I’ve taken a few small trips this summer, however nowhere too far. The furthest was a long-weekend trip to Boston. However the most memorable trips I’ve taken this summer were around my own backyard, in Ontario. Exploring places in cottage country to cool neighbourhoods in Toronto, to Prince Edward County wineries – Ontario has so many hidden gems.
What better seasonal ingredient to use in this months Recipe Redux than fresh Ontario Peaches!
This recipe is super easy to make – all you need is 8 ingredients and 20 minutes! A perfect recipe for entertaining your friends and family or simply for your work lunches.
Ontario Peach Lentil Haloumi Salad
A fresh, light, seasonal dihg perfect for a late summer dinner.
- 4 Ontario peaches
- extra virgin olive oil spray
- 250 g halloumi cheese
- 18 oz canned lentils
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 8 cups baby spinach
- fresh basil
- balsamic salad dressing
- Heat up your Panini press/indoor grill. Alternatively, you can use a plain ol’ skillet instead – you just won’t get those wonderful grill marks on your peaches.
- While grill/skillet is heating up, cut peaches in half, along the seam, and twist to open. Scoop out the pit and slice into 6-8 slices.
- Spray peaches with olive oil spray before placing them on the grill/skillet. Grill them until they are browned on each side/get grill marks.
- Meanwhile, slice the halloumi cheese. Heat up a second skillet and spray with olive oil. Once skillet is heated, space cheese on the skillet. Flip when each side is browned.
- Once peaches and cheese are browned, combine with drained lentils, sliced red onion and baby spinach. Top with fresh basil. Serve with balsamic dressing.
Nutrition (per serving): 350 calories, 28 g carbohydrate, 19 g protein, 18 g fat, 8 g fibre.