I have gotten some requests for a more “family-friendly” meal preps. This actually posed a bit of a challenge to me, as I don’t have kids myself. I also know the struggle from my clients of coming up with kid-friendly dinner ideas that are quick and easy and well-accepted by kids.
However, I started with asking my friends and colleagues about which meals were the favourite of their kids. I worked with the answers that I got! Those answers included smoothies, pizza, pasta, snack boxes and fajitas.
I then put my own plant-based twist on those items. The pizza I created is made with a chickpea flour crust, adding a lot of plant-based protein. The pasta is made from a legume pasta and comes with lentil meatballs. The fajitas are made with tofu.
I would love to hear feedback around these recipes, if you’ve tried them with your family! Shoot me an email or leave me a comment below 🙂
Mango Banana Cauliflower Smoothie
- 1/2 Cup Mango Frozen
- 1/2 Banana
- 1/2 Cup Cauliflower Rice Frozen
- 1 Cup Almond Milk
- 3 Tbsp Hemp Seeds
- Place all ingredients in blender and blend until ingredients are liquified. Enjoy!
Chickpea Flour Pizza
- 2 Cups Chickpea Flour
- 2 Cups Water
- 2 Tbsp Avocado Oil
- 2/3 Cup Pizza Sauce/Tomato Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Dried Basil
- 1 Tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Cup Vegan Shredded Cheese
- In a mixing bowl whisk the chickpea flour, water, two-thirds of the oil and salt together until smooth. Let the batter sit for 1 hour at room temperature.
- About 10 minutes before the batter is done resting preheat the oven to 450ºF and place two cast-iron pans inside the warming oven.
- Remove the pan from the oven and turn the broiler to high. Add the remaining oil to the pan and swirl to coat. Pour the batter into the pan and place it under the broiler for 5 to 7 minutes until the edges have browned and the top of the flatbread is firm. Remove from the oven.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350ºF. Remove the chickpea flatbread from the pan and transfer to a baking sheet. Top it with pizza/tomato sauce, spices and shredded cheese. Return to the oven and bake for 10 until the cheese is bubbly and browned.
- Slice and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Sheet Pan Tofu Fajitas
- 14 oz Tofu Extra Firm
- 2 Red Pepper Sliced
- 1 Green/Yellow Pepper Sliced
- 1 Tbsp Avocado Oil
- 1 Tbsp Cumin
- 1 Tbsp Chili Powder
- Press tofu by wrapping the rinsed and drained block in paper towel and place something heavy on top for about 10 minutes. After tofu is done pressing, chop into cubes.
- In a large bowl, toss the sliced bell peppers with the avocado oil. Transfer to a baking sheet and add the cubed tofu. Sprinkle with cumin and chilli powder.
- Bake for 30 minutes, tossing halfway.
- Serve as fajita bowls or in wraps!
Chickpea Pasta with Lentil Meatballs
- 1 Cup Cooked Lentils
- 1 Tsp Avocado Oil
- 1/2 Cup Onion diced
- 1 Tbsp Ground Flax Seed
- 3 Tbsp Water
- 1/4 Cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 Cup Almond Flour
- 10 Oz Chickpea Pasta
- 2 Cups Pasta Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Heat a small skillet over medium heat and add the oil. Once hot, add the onion and cook for four to five minutes or until softened. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, add the ground flax seeds and water and let sit for a few minutes until thickened slightly.
- In a food processor, add the lentils, onion, flax seed mixture, nutritional yeast and almond flour. Pulse until combined and the dough starts to hold together.
- Using slightly damp hands, roll the dough into golf-ball sized balls. Place on the baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- While the lentil meatballs are in the oven, cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and add the pasta back to the pot. Add the tomato sauce and mix. Divide evenly between plates and top with the lentil meatballs. Enjoy!
Veggie Bento Box
- 1 oz Crackers
- 1/2 Cucumber chopped
- 1 cup Baby Carrots
- 1 oz Tzatziki
- Everything Bagel Seasoning
- Arrange all of the ingredients in a bento box. Enjoy!
There is not much information available on plant-based meals for the family. I appreciate your efforts in collecting and presenting the information to us.
These recipes are easy and quick to make. Many people will find this information useful. Chickpea Pasta with Lentil Meatballs is particularly remarkable. Thank you very much for posting this article.
I’m so glad to hear all of this! Thank you for the support and I’m really glad that you found it helpful.