There are many reasons for focusing on enhancing your gut health with nutrition. One of these reasons is immune health. This is especially important as cold and flu season is upon us! The recipe redux encouraged us to provide our readers with recipes to boost gut health this month.
Your immune system places 80% of its cellular activity along and within the gut space. If the gut barrier system falters (a.k.a. ‘leaky gut’), your immune system goes berserk. You can think of the gut lining as one of the body’s most important lines of defense, since it keeps particles from food, bacteria and yeast inside the digestive system where they belong and prevents leakage into the bloodstream, which triggers inflammation. Check out this post here to learn more about leaky gut!
How can we repair and prevent leaky gut?
An anti-inflammatory diet consisting of lots of plants, healthy fats, fibre and low GI carbs can do wonders. In addition, amino acids glutamine and glycine can be helpful in repairing the small intestine. The villi in the small intestine help us to break down and absorb the minerals in our food. Villi have a rapid cell turn over and glutamine helps them to heal and grow.
Gelatin contains both glycine and glutamine. Gelatin is a translucent, powdery substance, resembling the texture and appearance of white sand, and it is loaded with amino acids. It is a component of animal bones and marrow.
Gelatin improves gut integrity by enhancing gastric acid secretion and restores a healthy mucosal lining in the stomach. In addition, gelatin is capable of absorbing water and fluids, which helps prevent fluid retention and a bloated stomach while improving constipation. This also make you feel fuller for longer.
Check out my favourite way to use Gelatin – in little gummy candies! These gummies are made with real, whole-food ingredients but also provide us with the delicious chewy sweetness!
Berry Gelatin Gummies
A chewy sweet treat that provides healing properties for your gut.
- 3/4 cup freshly-squeeze lemon juice
- 1 cup frozen berries
- 2 tbsp agave nectar (or 3 tbsp honey)
- 1/4 cup gelatin
- Place lemon juice and berries in a blender and blend on high until completely pureed.
- Pour blended mixture in saucepan. Adding the agave nectar and gelatine and whisk together, which will form a thick paste. Turn the heat on low, and continue to whisk the mixture for 5-10 minutes, until it becomes thin and everything is incorporated. Take off the heat.
- Pour into silicone molds or a small baking dish. Set in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour until firm.
- Cut into squares or whatever shape you desire. Enjoy!