This combination is fantastic! On a whole wheat greek pita, I used a creamy sweet potato base instead of tomato sauce and topped it off with some caramelized onion, kale and mozzarella cheese! A very inexpensive, quick and healthy vegetarian recipe! If you’re cooking for one person, make four at a time and use it for lunches that week or freeze for later.
Ingredients – Makes 4 Pita Pizzas
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 3 tbsp. skim milk or soymilk
- 1 tbsp. fresh sage, chopped
- 4 whole wheat greek pita
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Pierce sweet potato several times with fork put in microwave for ~10 minutes.
- While potato is in microwave, heat oil in medium skillet over low heat. Add onion while stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until just caramelized. Add kale to skillet and cook until tender and wilted. Remove from heat.
- Scoop insides of potato into medium bowl and mash; add milk, sage, and salt and combine until well-mixed and smooth. Spread mixture onto pizza crust.
- Top with half of cheese, kale and onions, and then remaining cheese. Bake pizza in oven at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes, or until kale begins to crisp and cheese melts.
Nutrition – One Pita Pizza
Fat: 11 g
Carbs: 50 g
Fibre: 8 g
Protein: 16 g
These chic plates are quite popular.