I cannot get away from seeing recipes of this baked pasta! Although, I’m not complaining, because it looks delicious!
However, I wanted to create a plant-based twist on this trendy recipe. Enter the almond feta!
This almond feta basically involves soaking blanched almonds until they’re nice and creamy, so that they are super blend-able. I actually couldn’t believe how creamy the end product was!
This photo was taken just after it was removed from the oven, with the tomatoes. Sure, the shape didn’t hold exactly like a real block of feta cheese, but that’s okay- look at what happens when it’s blended with the pasta:
Without further ado – check out the recipe!
Baked Feta(less) Pasta
- 2 cups raw sliced blanched almonds soak for 30 minutes in a bowl with boiling water
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp plant-based yogurt or regular yogurt
- 1 lb pasta of choice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 3-4 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried basil
- Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- To make the feta, drain the almonds after they've soaked for 30 minutes. Add the drained almonds, almond milk, garlic and onion powder, along with nutritional yeast and the yogurt to a blender or food processor. Add up to a half cup of water, slowly, as needed (I only needed 1/4 cup). Blend, stopping to stir and scrape the sides as needed, until a thick, smooth paste is formed.
- Transfer the paste to a small baking dish or ramekin, top with dried basil and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- While the vegan feta is baking, drizzle 1 tbsp of olive oil in a medium-sized casserole dish. Add cherry tomatoes and chopped garlic.
- Once the vegan feta is done, remove from oven and increase temperature to 400 F. Remove the feta bake from the small baking dish to the prepared casserole dish with tomatoes. Bake in the over for 20 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to directions on the box. Drain and place aside.
- Remove the tomato and feta dish from the oven and add the cooked pasta, mixing everything together. Top with dried or fresh basil. Enjoy!