If any of you know me in real life, you’ll know that I certainly have a sweet tooth.
My favourite sweets? Gummy’s. Give me allll the gummy’s.
The negatives to gummy’s? The simple sugar content, lack of nutrients and that they’re typically made with gelatin.
Hey, I’m not saying that every food you eat has to be perfect (it totally doesn’t) but if you can make it better, than why not! I especially wanted to find an alternative to gelatin – I’m not a huge fan of eating animal bones/parts. My solution to this was agar agar powder. Agar is a naturally gelatinous powder derived from marine red algae. It’s the perfect vegetarian substitute for beef gelatin in any food application, and makes an excellent thickener for soups, jellies, ice cream and more!
Today I present to you: my favourite Plant-Based Homemade Gummy Bears! Watch how I make them in the video below and grab the recipe as well!
Vegan Gummy Bears
- 1 cup of orange juice (or half a cup of berries, blended with a juice, to make 1 cup of liquid in total)
- 2 tbsp agave syrup
- 2 tbsp Agar agar powder
- Place molds in the freezer to chill so candies set faster.
- In a small saucepan, whisk together the juice/blended fruit with agave and agar-agar powder.
- Bring to a simmer while stirring constantly. Simmer for 3 minutes while whisking to avoid lumps.
- Remove the mixture from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Using a dropper, fill the molds with the liquid and place in the fridge for 30 mins to 1 hour.
- Remove candies from the molds and enjoy!