The holidays will be looking a little bit different this year due to the current circumstances of the world. With us celebrating with smaller numbers this year, we will likely have to take on more cooking responsibility!
I showed Globals News how to make simple but balanced holiday meals for your mini holiday get togethers! Check out the segment below and grab the recipes + bonus recipes below!
Orange Hummus Plate
- 2 (15-ounce) cans garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 cup 100% Florida orange juice
- 1 cup canned artichoke hearts, drained
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic
- Your choice of veggies and crackers
- In food processor bowl, combine all ingredients.
- Process until smooth, stopping and scraping sides of bowl several times.
- Serve citrus hummus with crackers and assorted fresh vegetables.
Creamy Broccoli Salad
- In a small mixing bowl, combine greek yogurt, apple cider vinegar and agave, and then whisk together until smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the (bite-size) broccoli florets, diced onion, dried cranberries, chopped almonds and cooked vegan bacon crumbles. Toss this all together until evenly mixed. Add the dressing to the salad right before serving.
Sweet Potato Lentil Shepherd's Pie
- 1 lb white potatoes
- 1 lb sweet potatoes
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 cups frozen veggies (corn, green beans and peas)
- 2 cups of cooked, canned lentils
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- Preheat over to 425 degrees F.
- Peel and slice any large potatoes in half. Place in a large pot and fill with water until they’re just covered. Bring to a low boil on medium high heat. Cover and cook for 20-30 minutes or until they slide off a knife very easily.
- Once cooked, drain and then return to pot. Mash with a potato masher and add vegan butter. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil. Once heated, add onion and garlic, until slightly browned (about 5 minutes).
- Once browned, add frozen veggies, along with 1/4 cup of water or veggie broth to saucepan. Heat until veggies are unfrozen. Add cooked lentils and thyme to saucepan for for 1-2minutes, until flavours meld. Mash slightly with a potato masher to thicken.
- Transfer veggie and lentil mixture to lightly-greased 2-quart baking dish. Top with potato mash.
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes. Broil on high for an addition 5 minutes, or until potatoes are browned.
- Let cool before serving.
White Bean Pot Pies
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and arrange ramekins on a baking sheet.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, add oil and onion. Sauté until soft and translucent – 4-5 minutes.
- Add carrots and celery. Cook 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly add the vegetable broth and white wine vinegar.
- Add thyme and white beans and bring the mixture to a simmer. Then lower heat to low and simmer for a few minutes.
- To prepare pie crust, add flour to a mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Next add vegan butter and use a pastry cutter (or fork) to cut the two together, until it resembles wet sand – about 30-45 seconds.Add ice cold water 1 Tbsp at a time and use a wooden spoon to gently mix. Add only as much water as needed to help it come together and form a dough
- Use your hands to gently knead/form the dough in the bowl and gather any loose scraps. Then transfer directly to a well- floured surface and form into a disc with your hands. Lightly flour the top of the dough, as well as a rolling pin, and gently roll out until about 1/8-inch thick. Add more flour as needed to prevent sticking. Next cut the pastry into 6.
- Spoon bean and veggie mixture into the 6 ramekins, until almost full. Use a lightly floured spatula to scoop each pie crust square onto a ramekin. Repeat until all ramekins are covered. Use a knife or toothpick to create small holes in the top of the pie crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake pot pies for 35-40 minutes, or until the filling is bubbly and the pie crust is golden brown. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
Holiday Edamame Pasta
- Combine all of the above ingredients in a bowl. Serve and enjoy!