A omnivore-approved!! My boyfriend (who enjoys both meat and vegetarian meals) states that this salad is a favourite of his – not only for it’s delicious taste but for how hearty it is! Let’s give thanks to the satiating power of a few nutrient-rich vegetarian ingredients – lentils, barley, almonds, apples and leafy greens! I love how simple and easy this is to make. A summer must-try!
Ingredients (makes 4 servings)
- 2 cups kale, chopped & stems removed
- 2 cups spinach, chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup uncooked pot barley
- 1 cup cooked or canned lentils
- 1 large fuji apple
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1/3 cup grape seed oil
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp dijion mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- Combine 1 cup barley with 2.5 cups of water in a saucepan and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and let simmer until all water is absorbed, or about 40 minutes.
- While the barley is cooking, chop the spinach, kale, onion and apple.
- Rinse the canned lentils under cool water for 1 minute over a strainer, to remove excess sodium and the carbohydrate solution it’s stored in.
- Once the barley is cooked in cooled, combine with lentils, spinach, kale, onion and apple iin a large bowl. To make the dressing, whisk remaining ingredients together (except almonds) in a small bowl. Pour over the salad and toss to combine. Top with almonds just before serving.
Fat: 13 g
Carbohydrate: 65 g
Fibre: 15 g
Protein: 18 g