As the warm weather starts to melt away, I find it so satisfying to bring a hot and hearty lunch meal to work. This dish is easy to mass cook and a couple of portions are easily frozen for another time so you don’t get tired of it. A great mid-day pick me up! Ingredients are simple, whole and healthy. Enjoy!
Ingredients – 6 Servings
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
- 1 large sweet pototo, diced (skin can be left on)
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1 onion, diced
- 5 – 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- a few dashes of garlic powder
- a few dashes of onion powder
- 4 cups (32 oz) water + more as needed
- In large pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onions, cook until soft and they start to turn brown (about 7 – 10 minutes).
- Add garlic, cook for another minute or so.
- Add the tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, oregano, garlic powder and onion powder, cook for 2 more minutes stirring constantly.
- Add tomatoes, liquids, beans and sweet potato, stir until combined.
- Add quinoa, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover slightly ajar and cook for 30 – 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. ** Quinoa does not have to be cooked before adding to chili**
- Chili is ready when sweet potatoes are tender. Add additional water if chili is too thick for your liking.
Calories: 325 kcals
Fat: 3 grams
Carbohydrates: 60 grams
Fibre: 14 grams
Protein: 16 grams