Tried, tested and true – I’ve witnessed this broccoli recipe get sampled (and liked!) by those who had not touched broccoli since they were served it, against their will, during childhood. This is without a doubt the best broccoli recipe I have tried to date. By roasting the broccoli, you get some nice charred edges while maintaining the color and texture of the veggie. The combination of garlic, olive oil, lemon zest and juice just can’t be beat. Add the warm nutty flavor of toasted almonds and the salty melty goodness of the parmesan and there you have it. A must try!
Ingredients – Serves 6
- 4 to 5 pounds broccoli
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons almonds, toasted (I did this in the oven on tin foil while watching closely)
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons julienned fresh basil leaves (about 12 leaves)
6. Remove the broccoli from the oven and immediately toss with 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, the lemon zest, lemon juice, almonds, Parmesan, and basil. Serve hot.
Nutrition (per serving)
Fat: 13 g
Carbohydrates: 19 g
Fibre: 7 g
Protein: 10 g