Not a fan of cauliflower? I’m willing to bet this dish will change your perception of this vegetable. The best way to prepare cauliflower is by roasting it! Roasting will caramelize it, bringing out a sweeter flavour. You would not get this flavour by boiling the heck out of your cauliflower. The combination of herbs spices in the tomato sauce add a nice compliment to the caramelized cauliflower. This recipe is also vegetarian and gluten free.
Ingredients (serves 6)
1 medium head of cauliflower
3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon of fresh thyme
1 can diced tomatoes
a pinch of red pepper flakes
a pinch of ground cinnamon
a pinch of coriander
3 medium eggs
3/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
1. Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C) . Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Cut cauliflower into ⅓-inch thick slices and toss with olive oil.
3. Place cauliflower on baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes, flipping them after 10 minutes.
4. While cauliflower is roasting, heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and saute for 5 minutes until softened.
5. Add garlic, thyme, tomatoes, coriander, red pepper flakes and cinnamon, and bring to a simmer. Cover with a lid and cook over low heat for 15 minutes, until the sauce is fragrant.
6. Add to bowl with the cauliflower and stir everything together. Transfer mixture into oiled casserole dish.
7. In a small bowl beat eggs, then add goat cheese and beat together well. Pour this over cauliflower mixture.
8. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, until top is beginning to brown.
Fat: 13 grams
Carbohydrates: 10 grams
Fibre: 5 grams
Protein: 7 grams